This article is also available on Odysee.
How to create a desktop shortcut on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Solution 1: Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Drag the icon
Hold Ctrl, Alt and Shift at the same time, then left click and drag the icon of your application. You’ll create a new shortcut that you can cut and paste to any folder you like, including the desktop.
If you want to change the application’s icon, right click it, choose Properties and click on the icon. You can choose a different icon in the menu that opens.
Solution 2: Create a desktop icon from a Launcher
This method allows you to create a desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut at the same time.
- Right click on your desktop and choose Create a new launcher here…
- Enter the name you want to use for your application.
- Click on the Browse button, navigate to the location of your application and either double click the application or select it and then click on the OK button. This wil automatically fill the Command text field with a path to your application.
- Click on the red rocket icon on the left to choose another icon for your application. You can search for icons by entering text in the search bar at the top or use the categories on the left. When you have found an icon you like, double click it to select it.
- Click on the OK button when all settings are correct.
- You will be asked: „Would you like to add this launcher to the menu also? It will be placed in the Other category initially“. Select Yes if you want the start menu shortcut too or No if you only need a desktop icon.
Solution 3: Create a desktop icon from the start menu
This only works if you already have a start menu entry for your application. Right click the application’s icon in the start menu and choose Add to desktop.
How to create a start menu shortcut on Linux Mint Cinnamon
Solution 1: Create a start menu icon from a Launcher
Follow the exact same steps as described above for the desktop shortcut. Select Yes when you are asked about the menu shortcut. If you want to use a different category than Other, read Solution 2.
Solution 2: Use the Menu Editor
- Right click the icon that opens your start menu and choose Configure…
- A new window opens. Go to the Menu tab using the button at the top.
- Click on the Open the menu editor button.
- The menu editor opens. Select the category you would like to use on the left, for example Graphics.
- Click on the New Item button on the right.
- The Launcher menu opens. Follow the same steps as described above in Solution 2: Create a desktop icon from a Launcher in the explanation for desktop shortcuts.
- If you want to change the category of any item, select the item, click on the Cut button, select the desired category on the left, then press the Paste button.
- You can delete items with the Delete button.
How to add an application to the panel on Linux Mint Cinnamon
You need to have a shortcut to your application in the start menu before you can add it to the panel. You can read about how to do that in the previous section.
Once you have the start menu icon, right click on it and choose Add to panel.
Do you need more help?
Just leave a comment if the article Application shortcuts on Linux Mint Cinnamon didn’t answer all your questions.
Visit the Linux tutorials main page for more Linux tutorials.